Monday, January 16, 2017

Elder Moses Simiyu - A Boy from Kenya Fulfills his Dream to Become a MIssionary

Elder Moses Simiyu
From Kenya
Uganda Kampa Mission
January 16, 2017

I was born 1st December, 1995, by poor parents who brought up five kids.  I was born in Luanda, Kenya.  When I completed my Primary School level, my mother took me to high school with every resource she would get.  I reached form two and the fee was not available and I dropped out of school..  Embarking on small jobs to get a living for myself and the family, (my brother was suffering from sickle cell so my mother had to care for him, and could not get enough time to search for food).  I stayed out of school for a whole year.  One day when I was walking around the streets, I spotted a Children’s Home.  This was the start of my hope again.  The manager at the Orphanage decided that she could give me a chance of one year to complete my high school.  It was very hard for me to make up my mind since I saw it not possible having been out of school for a year and I had skipped one grade (class).  This made confused even the more, but at the middle of the night, I said to myself, “chance only comes and goes once, use it.”  I studied hard in school (covering Form three and Form Four Syllabus at the same time).  It was at that time time, a couple from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints met the manager of the orphanage.  They sponsored the orphanage, but at some point, they were sent away with the notion that they were “devil worshippers”.  This thing made me to have many questions in mind and one of the things was, if these people are devil worshippers, why have we not died by eating the food they bring?  The clothes we are putting on?  Medication?  Later, when I completed my high school I had to look for them and inquire more about the church.

After I completed my high school I went to a place called Milimani where I was told they were living.  When I went there, I saw their truck going out, and I stopped them.  After that they listened to me, and I told them about the orphanage, and they remembered me.  After which they welcomed me for dinner.  That is when I asked them about the church during dinner.  They gave me a Book of Mormon to read.  I did not find anything wrong in the book.  I read the 1st chapter of Nephi while I was there.  They gave me an assignment which was the Book of Mormon Seminary Manual, and a notepad.  I went   the following day I had read up to Chapter 10 in 1st Nephi.  I felt that the book was true.  They encouraged me to read more in the book.  During the day we went shopping and they bought me some clothes and shoes, a new mattress, bed sheets and a pillow.  They also paid for a place for me to stay.  My parents could not afford anything for me.  In 2015, 22 February Ist was baptized by their grandson.  Their grandson came to visit and baptized me.  The couple was Elder and Sister Flake from Utah.  After I was baptized they decided to pay for college for 1 year, so I could acquire the skills to be self-reliant.  They paid for my driver’s license, and electrician school. 

My parents rejected me when I joined the church.  They thought they would be sacrificed in the church for wealth.  I decided that it is okay.  I will go on my own.  I continued doing jobs with the skills I had gotten from the college.  This missionary couple gave me food, when I could not find jobs. 

In 2015, when I was almost finished with college,  I was 19 years old.  Though I struggled to ends meet, I never lost hope that one day I would become a missionary.  I spoke to my branch president, and we started a passport application in February 2016.  I went to the immigration office 3 times in Kenya.  And they denied me the passport.  The fourth time they accepted.  I started check-up with the doctor, and filled out the medical form.  In July I submitted the forms.  But there was still a problem. The branch president sent the forms to Nairobi.  They were returned.  We corrected the mistake and resubmitted.  We had not attached the police report.  I waited for 1 month, 2nd month, and in November I was called on the phone by two full-time missionaries that my call packet had come.  I was happy!  And I prayed and thanked my Heavenly Father for that!  I had lost hope that I would never serve a mission.  The call came on Friday.  They brought the papers on Monday.  They were full-time missionaries.  I was happy with any mission I would serve.  I did not open it, until I was in my house.  It was Uganda Kampala Mission!  It was one of my favorites because full time missionaries from Uganda once taught me.  He is a returned missionary by now, and he is my friend. 

This very couple missionaries made me who I am today!  A missionary!  People are looking for truth but don’t know where to find it and that is my role’ telling people the truth.  My parents and other family members rejected me because of joining the church.  The Lord has been good to me because He has always provided me a way to get my living going on.  I miss my family sometimes, but when I remember the sons of Mosiah among the Lamanites; my strength is renewed.  I came on mission because I want my Christ family to grow.  It is my prayer that the Lord’s favor will be upon all missionaries and make them obey His commandments to dwell in his vineyard; remember our purpose to “invite others to come unto Christ…..”.

Though I might not have a family that cares for me or a place to call home; the Lord has all the answers to our problems.  He always told us that when we are in the service of our fellowmen, we are in His service.  I know that the mission will bless my life and gives me hope.  One day it will come to pass that all problems have gone away.  I love my parents because were it not for them I would not be here; the Lord of mercy will soften their hearts to know this message of restoration.  Many years may pass, but the Savior remains to be faithful to His servants.  He will bless them with the knowledge as He did to me when I was blind-folded by the High School I learned in.  The restored Gospel has been my eye-opener to see the goodness of the atoning sacrifice of the Son of our Heavenly Father.   

I have a testimony that the Lord loves us all.  He really does.  The gospel has been restored again by prophet Joseph Smith and in this last dispensation the Lord guides His people through the living prophet.  In the name of Jesus Christ even our Savior.  Amen.

Elder Simiyu

Kenya

1 comment: